Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday Design Fix

I like Thursdays for many reasons, two of which are the New York Times' and Washington Post's home sections. I like to read them the old-fashioned way -- on paper while riding the Metro.

In the Post, I love "
House Calls." I don't think I can ever get enough of before-and-afters. Plus, you can get a lot of tips on how to solve design dilemmas and some great finds at stores you may not have known of. Today's is a family room re-do by local designer Iantha Carley. What a huge difference. I love the activity table she chose, and I love how she worked in furniture from Ikea and Target.

The Times' article
The New Antiquarians is, of course, spot on. I have been loving this trend. I don't embrace it completely -- full on, it's a little too dark for me -- but I like to mix it in to our colorful cottagey/vintage/eclectic decor (not sure what to call it...it's probably just "contemporary").

[Image: nytimes.com]

4 comments:

AshleighAndJeff said...

Jeff figures this is where Neutral Milk Hotel recorded their album, among taxidermic wildlife in windowless rooms. Very inspirational! I agree with adding a few more "cuddly" items (preferably with less exposed skeletal bones).

Loving the blog, can't wait to read more! We will need a LOT of decorating help in LA!!!

Michelle said...

Ha, ha -- totally!

Looks like your journey is going very well. I love keeping up with it and reading your Jeff's hilarious posts.

By the way, LOVE your profile pic! :)

rikki said...

Michelle - can we get matching fencing masks?

Michelle said...

Rikki, I would be honored.