Friday, May 7, 2010

Garden Notes: Hibiscus and Rhododendron

I'm so proud: It's been 4 weeks since I planted some hibiscus in pots in front of our house, and not only are they still alive, but they are still blooming. Quite an accomplishment for this novice gardener.

I've been making sure not to over-water them, which I think has been my problem in the past with potted plants. I only water if the soil feels fairly dry about 2 or 3 inches down into the pot. So simple. But before I watered on a regular basis and didn't bother feeling the soil.

And on to other garden news, our azaleas have faded, but the huge rhododendron bush in our front garden is in full bloom (and I didn't even have to do anything to get it to this point). I can't believe it wasn't damaged by the crazy snow we had.


No comments: